We the Women: Celebrating 100 years of the 19th Amendment
What is We the Women?
This August, The Post and Courier is celebrating the 100th anniversary of the ratification of the 19th Amendment, August 18, 1920.
To celebrate this time in history, The Post and Courier will discuss the movement with 19 outstanding women in South Carolina.
Given the timeliness of the upcoming election, this series is dedicated to bringing attention to the importance of voting and the struggles women overcame in order to win that hard-fought right.
What to expect from this series:
We the Women is celebrating 100 years of women's right to vote by producing a 19-day video + podcast series.
- Each video + podcast will highlight a South Carolina prominent females. Discussions will include the historical significance and societal impacts of the Nineteenth Amendment.
- The series will be led by Post and Courier female reporters including: Caitlin Byrd, Emily Williams, Jenna Schiferl, and Mikaela Porter
- Launch date is July 31st and run through August 18th.
How Can I Become a Sponsor?
Partnering with The Post and Courier for this series presents a unique opportunity for digital & print exposure. This cause-related virtual event will be similar to our "No Intermission" series.
Complete the form on this page or contact your account executive directly today to discuss these opportunities in further detail.
Confirmed guest interviewees:
- Helen Hill | CEO of the Charleston Area Convention & Visitors Bureau
- Anita Zucker | Chair at the Hudson's Bay Company and Chief Executive Officer of The InterTech Group
- Dot Scott | Charleston NAACP Branch President
- Chef John-Carter Ayanna | Executive chef of The Macintosh
- Dr. Mary Thornley | President at Trident Technical College
- Queen Quet | Leader of the Gullah Geechee Nation
- Hillary Reptik | Stormwater division chief for the Town of Mount Pleasant
- Rev. Demett Jenkins | Director of faith-based engagement at the IAAM is the granddaughter of Esau Jenkins
- Sandy Tecklenburg | First Lady of Charleston
- Melissa Moore | From the Women's Rights and Empowerment Network (WREN)
- Dr. Gerrita Postlewait | Charleston County School District Superintendent
- Barbara Williams | First female editor of Post and Courier
- Lisa Wells | Board of Director, South Carolina Stormwater Manager and VP and Director of Watershed Services
- Lt. Gov. Pam Evette | 93rd and current Lieutenant Governor of South Carolina
- Brig. Gen. Sally Selden | Ph.D. Provost and Dean of The Citadel
Introducing The Post and Courier journalists leading this series:
Political reporter + author of the Palmetto Politics newsletter
Reporter for the city of Charleston
Business reporter, covering tourism and aerospace + author of the Business Headlines newsletter